Friday, January 25, 2013

Internet in Education

I believe that the internet has really improved today's education.  There is so much information for people to use for research as well as sites for learning.  My daughter love getting on the computer and learning her letters and numbers at several different pre-school sites.  The internet has also opened up options such as online college classes like this one. It makes it much easier for me to take classes now that they can be done online.

For schools it adds a large amount of information for students to be able to learn and watch videos on millions of subjects.  At the school I used to work at, you tube was a major part of the teacher’s curriculum. Also there is a great site by Discovery that has hundreds of videos and information for students to learn.  This makes things more interesting to the students and gets them involved.   Some will say that there are disadvantages, but I believe that the advantages greatly outweigh the negative.  Google is the largest encyclopedia in the world..lol All you have to do is type in what you need information on and you have hundreds of pages of information at your fingertips. Students can use this information to write papers or expand on things they learned in class.

4 comments:

  1. Hi Brandi

    I agree with your assessment, that the internet has greatly increased education. I think that new and better ways are always getting applied to distance learning and even more tools will be available to future generations of online learners. I know my own experience has been mostly good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brandi,
    I laughed a little when you mentioned the use of Youtube. My mom has finally discovered Youtube and now uses it like it is Google. It's funny to see her get all excited because of a video she found.
    I had to take a Stats class last semester and I used the internet to find easier ways to solve the problems. The internet is extremely useful when it comes to education!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :) I love it when I see people finally discover something they haven't used before such as youtube. It's like a whole new world to them. I know some schools that watch other lectures and assign students to find and watch lectures or how-to's on some subjects.

      Delete
  3. Hey Brandi, I can agree with your assessment about technology in the classroom. I work in a school district myself and I see it every day. I love being a part of education and helping to put technology into kids hands.

    ReplyDelete