Technology is EVERYWHERE. We have cellphones, computers and tablets at our disposal every minute of the day. Technology is all about making our lives easier and sometimes that can affect our basic foundations as humans such as communication. Whatever happened to the telegraph? Or the messenger on a pony? Or the smoke signals? These were all forms of technology to deliver messages. Now all we have to do is strike a few fake keys (touchscreen) with our fingers and hit send to relay a message to someone. Technology has spoiled us. We have become lazy. Rather than walk down the hall to ask about lunch plans, we will text our colleagues and ask them when and where we are eating. There is not enough verbal communication anymore. Our kids are learning how to text and email at very early ages and this is setting a precedent to what their lives will be like when they are grown. When I was a kid and I was playing at the neighbors house, my mom would yell for me or my dad would whistle for me when it was time to come home. Now parents just text their kids and tell them when an were to go. Even in their own homes they will just send a text to tell their kids to clean their room. What happened with talking? It is so hard to walk a few feet and actually interact with your kids? Don't get me wrong, this is something I have to work on myself as I tend to fall in the trap of the dreaded text message.
The new thing for teenagers is to see how many text messages they can send in a month. I have a nephew that send 19,000 in one month. That comes to roughly 633 messages per day. That is just crazy. what can they possibly be talking about. My niece invited a friend over and then they sat on the couch and texted each other instead of actually talking. Our kids do not communicate anymore. I can see this leading to social issues in the future when they need to get up in front of their boss and make a presentation. They can't text it to him. Don't get me wrong, I am the first in line to use technology but I do see the effects it has on us.
19,000 texts in a month?! that is just crazy. I bet if you looked at his bill or phone history there wouldn't be many minutes used. People are so lazy and don't take the time out of the day. Even when I text my friend, half of them don't know how to spell or talk at all for that matter because we have spell check and auto correct on everything. I live in an area where cell service is very very limited and I have to say it does make me pick up my house phone and actually have a conversation with somebody. As much as the limited service aggravates me, I am happy that I have the ability to use my phone. I am all about communication and I refuse to be that lazy and reliant on technology.
ReplyDeletewe actually paid for his cell bill. thank GOD it was unlimited. and you are right, there was hardly any minutes used.
DeleteI agree with what you’re saying about children and texting. My daughter will try to text us while we are all in the house. At first, i would think nothing about it. Then i was like, wait there is only one wall separating us. So i started to ignore the text messages. Then if i didn’t reply, she would yell throughout the house. "Dad, did you get my text message." LOL. She is 12. Now she knows she should just walk down the stairs to deliver the verbal face to face message. LOL
ReplyDeleteI love the texting comments. I myself text a lot, but I in know way substitute it for any other form of communication. What i think will be interesting is when kids now actually become the bosses of the world. It's going to be pretty interesting to see a meeting where all participants are texting one another.
ReplyDeleteIt's funny you mention the kids coming over and texting one another while they sit right next to each other. I came out into my dining room one day to find 5 kids, my sons and their friends, sitting all round the table, all on different computers. They were not talking to each other at all. When I asked what they were doing, they told me they were all playing different games. I thought they were perhaps playing together, but no, all different things. They just wanted to hang out in physical proximity to one another but they were not communicating at all. I thought that was pretty weird. At least get together and play with one another!
ReplyDelete