Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Effect of the internet on Media

There are both negative and positive effects that the internet has on media.  For instance, book and newspaper publishers take a large hit when it comes to making actual book sales.  A majority of people now want their books and newspapers delivered electronically and this can hurts the companies that want to produce actual hard copy of books.  Another example is the music industry.  Back in the day, CD's were purchased even though only one song my be what the consumer wanted.  Now, consumers can choose to buy a whole album or just a couple of songs.  And then there is the issue of pirated music. There are so many places that rip the cd's and offer them for free downloads and the artist takes a hit in the pocketbook because of this technology.

The internet has made it hard for musicians, publishers and may other artists to find ways to connect with their consumers and get them to purchase their products.  They have to look at new strategies to draw the consumer in and purchase from them online. This is why a strong online presence is such a vital part in any artists career. They face difficulties everyday and they have to stay on top of new ways to communicate with the public.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Brandi, I believe that Jose might have mentioned this, but one reason that newspapers are taking such a hit is the advertising dollars that are going to the Internet now.

    I love to have my music on a CD, and I usually purchase it that way. Then I load the music onto my phone. I agree with you that musicians have had to find new ways to reach their audience. Personally, I am a big fan of Pandora Radio on the Internet.

    Books, books, books. I love to read and I would be lost without an e-reader. When I really love a book, I purchase the hardcover. I move so often and I have had to either carry lots of heavy books or part ways with them, so the e-reader is a lifesaver. Publishers are very afraid of e-books, so when they publish a new hardcover, it is not immediately available in the e-book format to be borrowed. The publishers feel they will lose money by making the e-book available to be borrowed too soon. Personally, I just find it frustrating because I have to borrow the hardcover.

    ReplyDelete